Friday 15 February 2013

Horse meat scandal from a Vegetarian's point of view

So it would appear this horse meat thing isn't going away any time soon and I have to say from a vegetarians point of view I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand meat is meat. I made a decision 18 years ago that I didn't want to eat meat, for me I don't separate a cow from a horse or a dog from a lamb, they are all beautiful animals that I wouldn't want on my plate, and to hear carnivores complaining that eating horse turns there stomach but a cow would be perfectly delicious from the outside looking in is quite bizarre.

However my second view ( which I think is what most people are feeling) is that it's not the horse meat but the fact that we have been lied to, I religiously stand and read ingredients labels, I check everything for the vegetarian symbol, and if I find out that what was in my food was not what I had been told I would be furious too. I don't buy ready meals but I do buy meat substitute products and have to put my trust in the manufactures that these are being produced under strict regulations. So although the horse meat scandal doesn't effect me directly I share with everyone else a feeling of distrust with supermarkets and food manufacturers.

I suppose the real question is will this change are shopping habits or will we all forgive and forget?


No comments:

Post a Comment